Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

DIY: Mini Sailor's Scarf





Mini Sailor's Scarf

As I have promised, a DIY tutorial! This is actually quite a simple project. It’s kind of a French-chic and Agyness Deyn inspired scarf. I know Agyness Deyn styled her scarf from a bandana.  But I have never seen such lovely red bandana selling anywhere, and I have some nautical clothing pieces that I want to jazz up… and so, I decided to make my own instead!

Photo from here and here
It is actually slightly longer than I intended it to be. It measures 28 by 1.2 inches. But I think the width of 1.2” is just right! Ok and just for reference my neck measures 12.5 inches in circumference, in case you are thinking of either shortening or lengthening this scarf. (This actually feels weird)

I took these pictures on the train when I was out with my friend yesterday
Now let’s move on to the details.

Materials:
Fabric/Fat quarter (if you are thinking of a nautical themed scarf as well, choose navy, white, red or red pinstripes like I did!)
Sewing needle and thread
A truckload of patience (for people who do not have a sewing machine for this)

Steps:

1. Cut 4 strips of fabric, each measuring about 28.2 by 1.4 inches. I simply added around 0.2 inches for seam allowance to the intended final measurement of the scarf. You should increase or decrease the seam allowance for your own comfort! Cut the strips in the way that the stripes become vertical, just like in the picture!

2. Pin 2 of the strips together, with RIGHT side facing each other. Pin the other 2 strips with RIGHT side facing each other as well. Now pin the 2 pairs together. Trim the one end into a fairly tapered point (or a sharp point if you want a sharp end to your scarf).

3. Now separate the 2 pairs of fabric strips, with the RIGHT sides of each pair still pinned together. So each pair has 2 strips right? Let’s call the strips on top/the one facing you A1 and A2. The strips under A1 and A2 are B1 and B2 respectively, as shown in the picture!

4. Join the flat ends of A1 and A2 together, RIGHT sides facing each other. Sew a straight stitch from top to bottom according to the seam allowance and then iron the seams open. Do the same for B1 and B2! Your open seam will look something like the one in the picture.

5. Now sew all around the edge according to the seam allowance, leaving around an inch for turning the scarf inside out.

6. Turn the scarf inside out and sew the remaining opening close.

And you’re done!

This scarf was made before I got my sewing machine. So that means that I actually stitched every single stitch by hand. EVERY. SINGLE. STITCH. A truckload of patience for that, as I have said.

And these are my nautical inspired clothing pieces!
Clockwise from top left: Navy Blazer (thrifted), Mini Sailor's Scarf (DIY), Nautical Pinafore, I heart Paris Tee (thrifted)

P.S.: This post didn't take me too long to prepare (with taking of photos and editing etc). I think I am getting the hang of this! :) And I have another test AGAIN tomorrow.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That's adorable. I would definitely make that if I sewed. My mom actually has a surger, but I know nothing about how to use it.

gwenstella said...

courtney, you can try sewing it by hand!!! it's really not that hard. ;)

abby said...

this outfit is adorable! i love your DIY scarf and the i <3 paris shirt.:D

Acha said...

Your DIY projects really look well made! Extra thumbs up for the pic of Aggy! hehe

Unknown said...

Cute way to jazz up an outfit when wearing a graphic tee. Thanks for the tutorial!

Maribel said...

Fab! Thaks for the tutorial. Greetings from Asturias (Spain)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so cute and preppy- I love it! I just clicked over from WhipUp where it caught my eye. I would love to link to it if you didn't mind.

Nilgün Komar said...

sugar,
classes have done a very pretty,
Because the people do what you liked the sample,
muck..

Swirlyarts said...

Morning! I just wanted to let you know that I have featured your tutorial (lunch money) on Cuteable this morning and that I found you via Whip Up.

Lynsey x

http://cuteable.com/

Kat - TeamKitten said...

ahh gorgeous!! i love it - and it looks easy enough for a novice sewer like myself! I like that fabric too!