Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sewn: Cath Kidston Bag from Sew! Cath Kidston


A while ago, I wrote a review on the Sew! Cath Kidston book. The book came with the materials to make this floral Cath Kidston bag! Yes, it came with the fabric, the buttons and even the Cath Kidston label. (Sewing machine not included, haha)


So, here's my very own Cath Kidston bag! It's a really easy project that was completed within 2 days. Sewing it was such a breeze and a joy, such that I feel like making a few more with different fabric prints for my friends!


Where I added the interface
Work in progress
Work in progress, with pocket completed
I didn't exactly follow the original 'recipe' for the bag. I added some interface at the bottom of the bag because I wanted the bag to have a more defined structure. I think some interface at the bottom (rather than for the entire bag) is adequate, because erm, I don't want to make a box out of it! I also added a pink lining, complete with a pocket! Both the interface and the pink cotton fabric for the lining of the bag are additional things that I bought to make the bag because I really wanted this bag to be perfect. And... I think it's ALMOST perfect.


YUM.
The blue markings at the sides of the label are from my fabric pencil. I wanted to make sure that the label is right at the centre!

Why ALMOST? Well, I lost the buttons that were given to make the bag. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in my pig sty (aka my bedroom), but I thought I should just forget it for now and simply buy similar ones to complete the bag. I'm sure the buttons will resurface sooner or later, and I will then be able to use them to make another of this bag! 


Look! Pockets!
Matching lining
But the buttons aren't the big issue here. What I am not fond of is the strap. The strap is of a weird length. It's not short enough to make the bag a handbag, yet not long enough for the bag to be worn as a sling bag. So, this Cath Kidston bag rests awkwardly in the middle of my torso, just slightly above my hip when I put the strap over my shoulder. To think that I was initially worried that I might have to shorten the strap because of my petite frame! Now I wonder how the bag would look when it's worn by taller people! What a shame for an almost perfect bag. Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it. I guess I'll just have to make it work out somehow with a good outfit! ^_^


5 comments:

Kat said...

It looks like your construction is really good! But honestly my favorite part is the fabric.. if i had that fabric I'd have so many floral dresses by now!

Sara E.K said...

You did a good job! I especially like the pink and the pocket inside! And the fabric is awesome!

Hello Naka said...

wow it looks great! i wish I had such neat skills :p and love the print :3

BEESTLYproducts said...

SHUTTHEFRONTDOOR!!!!!! that is effing adorable! you did such a good job! i don't even know how to use the buttonhole thing on my machine. haha.

Astrid said...

Okay, this is just adorable, + looks so simple. GREAT.