Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Serendipity Bag

Did I mention that I was busy making a crochet bag?

Yeah, that's what I have been busy with for the past 2 weeks.

I was working on this crochet bag for a friend of mine, Susie, who had left the work at the clinic for another job. I thought a crochet bag will be the best gift that I can give her since she's also my crochet and knitting friend!

Before I reveal the finished product, let me talk a little about how the entire idea of the bag came about. In the beginning, I wanted to make this Fat Purple Bag that I saw on Ravelry. But as I went along with it, I realised that it's really small and not the kind of bag that I want to make for her. So I modified the pattern suing the concepts of increasing stitches for the puffy-look in the Fat Purple Bag. I didn't understand the last part on the basting and the handles, so I made it my own way. The result really wasn't too bad, but it didn't look good enough. Then I tried salvaging it by sewing up the bottom to create the look I wanted to achieve from the very beginning. I altered the bottom of the bag 3 times before I was satisfied with the way it looks. I crochet a scallop edging at the top, attached knitted straps, embellished it with buttons of a contrasting colour, stitched a lining, and this is what I got in the end.

*drum rolls...*

the bag with my noticeboard as background...


And for all that I went through, I think this bag is truly worth the name of Serendipity Bag.
I really like the way the buttons matches the bag


I'm so glad that my mini sewing machine was working! I sewed the sides of the lining using the machine but had to hand stitch the lining itself to the bag.
And the zip...

Ahhh, really proud of this very first bag that I crochet. My hands are itching to make more and more!!!

No comments: