Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

DIY: Embellished Hair Ties


All right, one tutorial post before uni starts again tomorrow. (And before I die of heart attack while waiting for the result for my test...) T_T


This is a really easy DIY project. I whipped up 4 of these hair ties in less than 30 mins. I call my hair ties the "Tiger Hair Ties" because of the tiger prints of the scrapbook trimmings I used. Best of all, it's such a cheap and easy way to make a pretty hair tie! I got the scrapbook trimmings from Spotlight in one of those $1 or $2 discount bin.


Materials: 
Elastic hair tie
Ribbon/ Yarn/ Scrapbook trimmings
Crochet hook
Black ribbon


Steps:
1. Get a hair tie. You can use any boring black hair tie you have lying around the house.
2. Tie the trimming to the hair tie with a simple overhand knot.
3. Insert the crochet hook through the hair elastic and under the trimming.
4. Hook a loop of the trimming from the under the elastic.
5. Bring the trimming over the crochet hook. This is called a yarn-over stitch (YO).
6. Using the crochet hook, pull the YO stitch through the loop on the hook.
7. Repeat Step 4
8. Make a YO and pull it through the 2 loops on the hook.
9. Repeat Steps 7 and 8 until the entire hair tie has been covered.
10. Cut the trimming and hook it through the loop on the hook. Tie this tail at the end to the tail that was made at the beginning.
11. Glue a bit of black ribbon around the point where the start and end meet for a clean and secure finish.


I like to make my hair tie as big as my wrist because sometimes I like to wear them as if they are bracelets. :) Now, go forth and gather your materials! Go crazy with your choice of trimming/yarn/ribbon! ^_^ I'd love to see your creations!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice ones and easy too!
if i had long hair i would make some too
but i have them in mind
soon i might be able to use them^^

p.s. i'm hosting a giveaway if u want to participate^^

Kisses

BEESTLYproducts said...

crochet is so useful! i need to learn!