Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

DIY: Turban Knot Headband

I made this red headband a while ago based on this item that I saw on ASOS. The ASOS website always provides me with endless inspirations for creating fashion-forward knitted projects. If I were crazy, I'd make one in every colour of yarn I have. 


DIY Inspiration: Very 70s 
(via)


***


Materials:
1 ball of 8ply yarn of your choice
A pair of 3.00mm knitting needles


Pattern:


Cast on 27 stitches
Row 1k2, *p1, k1; rep from *, end k1
Row 2: k1, *k next st in the row below, k1; rep from *
Row 3: k1, *p1, k1; rep from *
Row 4: k2, *k next st in the row below; rep from *, end k1 



Repeat Rows 1 - 4 until the headband measures approximately 70cm long. 


Before casting off, tie a knot at the centre of the work and then wrap the headband around your head to check that it fits well. Once you're satisfied with the length, cast off.


Bind seams. 


***


Enjoy! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg!! great mind thinks alike. i made one like for a friend last winter. i obviously didn't make it the way you did it but ASOS was part of the inspiration.

I think we should collab together on a DIY project once im through with my hectic semester.

Anonymous said...

Love the idea very fashion forward

Annabel Pierce said...

Oh my goodness! I was so inspired by this last night, that I decided I had to run with it, and made a little knotted makeup headband with a some cabling! I would love it if you checked it out! The pattern is here

miriam martens said...

i was wondering if someone could explain row 2 for me? i am just slightly confused by the pattern.
thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Miriam, not sure if you'll see this because it's been a while since you commented! But the stitch is as follows:
Instead of knitting into the stitch on the needle, you catch the stitch below it and knit through that. You then release the stitch off your needle as usual, and you will find both it and the stitch below you just knitted through, are caught in the new knit stitch.
Hope that helps!

sarah said...

this is my first knitting project, and i'm having difficulty with knitting in the stitch below. it seems like the yarn unravels in the 4th row... after the first two knitted stitches, i'm essentially knitting in the stitch below for each stitch until the final one?