Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2008

DIY: "Sweet" Ribbon Dispenser


This is a How-to that I have previously uploaded on Cut Out and Keep. Thank you all for your support on Cut Out and Keep! I'm absolutely flattered!
I love collecting scraps of ribbons. It can be an unused bundle I found in a corner of my house or a bunch of leftovers from a school project. I save them all up because you never know when you need it for gift wrapping or other crafting projects again.
But sometimes seeing those piles of ribbons can get rather depressing. Then I saw that TicTac on my table and I knew it's time I did something about my problem...
Grab that messy, distressed pile of ribbon.


Finish a container of TicTac. You don't have to finish all at one go!

Peel off the label slowly to make sure that you get 
a non-sticky container.

Remove the cover.


Roll the ribbon up neatly. This may require a bit more patience!

Then insert the roll of ribbon into the container. One shortcoming of this dispenser is that the roll cannot be too big, if not it can't fit into the container at all.
Make sure you leave a tail of ribbon (about 1 cm) outside the container.
Line the cover and the direction of the ribbon as shown.

This arrangement helps ensure a smooth dispensal of ribbon.

Close the cover while leaving a tail peeking out from the SIDE of the cover.

Do not leave the tail peeking from the front as the crease at the front may spoil the ribbon!

Tape the container lengthwise. You can use coloured tapes to decorate the dispenser.

The tape is needed as TicTac covers become loose after the removal of the label.

Open the cover to dispense ribbon as and when needed!

A neat and green solution to your piles of distressed ribbons! (^_^)


TIPS: Other potential dispensers are candy boxes with just a small opening but big, roomy body. But the good thing about TicTac containers is that it is clear, so we can see the contents!

***


2 comments:

sukigirl said...

I love this idea!
I have so many small bit of ribbons that are heaped in a pile.
Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

This is such a fantastic idea!